Archive | Community RSS feed for this section

VIDEO: Martin Luther King — "I Have A Dream" (full speech)

I took the MLK holiday off today, as I do every year.  Not just a day off from the day job, but a day spent remembering and honoring Dr. King.  As we've done for the last several years, we went to the memorial at Brooklyn Academy of Music.  Danny Glover was the keynote this year.  [...]

Read More 1 Comment

'Miracle For A Maggot": Fundraiser for Funkadelic graphic artist Pedro Bell

Maggot brain cover

The Black Rock Coalition, launching its 25th year of being nation’s premier support 501c3 nonprofit for alternative music artists of color, will present a fundraising concert on the behalf of pioneering Parliament-Funkadelic graphic designer Pedro Bell on Saturday, January 2. The concert, “Miracle for a Maggot: Funkraiser for P-Funk Graphic Artist Pedro Bell” will feature [...]

Read More 0 Comments

Have you taken the black rock audience survey yet?

Survey

If you've already taken the survey, thank you.  Thanks to you, we've crossed an important threshold in terms of responses.  If not, I'd appreciate it.  It'll take 5-7 minutes to complete and you'll get some great FREE music at the end.  You can take the survey here. As of this post, the survey has been [...]

Read More 0 Comments

Introducing: Tendaberry

Atlanta Afro-Punk quartet Tendaberry stops by the studio to talk about their experience as a group forming and beginning to come into their own in the Atlanta music scene. In this pod we talk at length about the Atlanta Indie Rock scene, the AUC (Morehouse, Clark-Atlanta & Spelman) music and arts scene and about what it means to them being Black Post-punk musicians.

Read More 2 Comments

Introducing new contributors to Boldaslove.us

Welcome_sign_1333x400

One of the things coming out of the audience survey (thanks to all who’ve completed it so far!) is that many of you want to see for more regional coverage here on Boldaslove.us.  Based on that feedback, I put out a call for contributors and a great group of people responded.  I’m happy to announce [...]

Read More 0 Comments

My open call for contributors to Boldaslove.us

That's right: I'm looking to add more regional coverage.  Someone's already raised their hand to cover the East Bay, but I'm definitely interested in bringing regular coverage of what's happening in the black rock/Afro-Punk/black alternative scenes in some other cities such as: Atlanta The DMV (that's DC, Maryland, Virginia, for those who don't know) Chicago [...]

Read More 5 Comments

Give me 5 minutes! Take the black rock audience survey

Thanks.  I'm looking forward to sharing the results of this with everyone.  Remember the more people who respond, the more detailed the results.  And did I mention that you'll get something for free after you finish? Yes, take me to the survey!

Read More 0 Comments

Join the Felabration! Celebrate the life and music of Fela Anikulapo Kuti!

Felabration-main_banner

From our friends at Giant Step: In support of the Knitting Factory Records re-launch of Fela Kuti’s music catalogue, as well as the debut of the FELA! show on Broadway, Giant Step has organized official Felabration events in more than 15 cities across North America throughout the month of October; this outstanding schedule of Felabrations [...]

Read More 0 Comments

Vernon Reid honored with Mayor's Award for Arts & Culture

Stamos-reid-bloomberg

(l to r) Actor John Stamos, Vernon Reid, Mayor Michael Bloomberg Black Rock Coalition and Living Colour co-founder Vernon Reid received The Mayor's Award For Arts & Culture at a lavish awards presentation at The Frank Sinatra School of the Arts in Astoria, NY.  Big shout to Vernon for singling out The Black Rock Coalition [...]

Read More 0 Comments

DC TONIGHT: All Killer! No Filler!

All_killer_no_filler_800x12

While not technically a "black rock" event, it is something that's being produced by two cats who are part of the Boldaslove.us extended fam, Stone of The Couch Sessions and Marcus of True Genius Requires Insanity.  If you're around the DMV, then definitely flow through and check out the scene.  It comes down to taste [...]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Read More 0 Comments

Fear Of A Black President

Some excerpts from Ta-Nehisi Coates’s tour de force on Obama, race and the limits of integration.

GOOD READ: Hate Crimes Always Have A Logic: On The Oak Creek Gurudwara Shootings

A perspective on the Oak Creek, WI shootings from a member of the Sikh community

GOOD READ: Erykah Badu to Wayne Coyne: “Kiss my glittery ass!”

In case you missed it, Ms. Badu’s choice words to Mr. Coyne

GOOD READ: Jeff Chang On The Legacy of Chuck Brown

A worthwhile read on the go-go legend

GOOD READS: #TrayvonMartin Around The Web

So much conversation–and now maybe some justice–for this young man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...