Archive | Community RSS feed for this section

Thank you

It occurs to me that I need to say thank you.  As you can see from the multiple pieces (here, here and here), SXSW was a success.  But it wouldn't have happened without the support of many of you who pitched in with donations that helped me underwrite that trip.  It was a great experience.  […]

Read More 1 Comment

Miles Marshall Lewis on being a black Rolling Stones fan

Do you know Miles Marshall Lewis?  He's a really talented writer and music journalist.  Originally from the Bronx, he now lives in Paris, France, but still manages to lob a healthy amount of pieces across the water to The Village Voice and a host of other publications.  His 33-1/3 book on Sly and The […]

Read More 0 Comments

Detroit's Black Women Rock Weekend

Dopeness in the D this weekend, spearheaded by @jessicacaremoor.  First, a tribute to funk diva Betty Davis featuring Tamar-Kali, Imani Uzuri, Steffanie Christi'an and Marcia Jones:   On Sunday, there's a master class with many of these artists that focuses on inspiring young women to define their own terms of participation in the music industry. […]

Read More 1 Comment

Belated new year's wishes

zv7qrnb This piece originally ran on the Converse.com blog back in January. When I think about what will help black rock become an even bigger part of the cultural conversation, there are four things that come to mind: More music
 This is obvious, but I’m looking forward to new releases from black artists all over […]

Read More 1 Comment

LISTENING POST: The Family Stand — "Story"

photo credit: Craig Bailey/Perspective Photo A download for a good cause. Like the song “The Last Time We’re Here,” this song is taken from The Family Stand’s forthcoming album Definition.  The difference here is that the song is available for immediate download on iTunes.  What’s better, all proceeds from the song will go to the […]

Read More 0 Comments

REDUX: Help me get to SXSW

You may recall a few weeks ago that I announced that I'd been asked to conduct a live interview with legendary Detroit punk band Death at this year's upcoming SXSW Music Festival.  The interview will take place on Saturday, March 20 at 2pm, so for those of you who'll be in Austin, please mark your […]

Read More 1 Comment

I have no right to be mad at the Grammys and neither do you.

I realized that I really have no right to be mad at The Grammys. Yeah, I was one of those salty folks on Twitter who took potshots at the awards ceremony this past Sunday.  And yes, the Michael Jackson tribute seemed a little half-hearted; the Jamie Foxx/T-Pain performance was just shy of embarrassing; and […]

Read More 0 Comments

BRC Seeks Submissions for 25th Anniversary Compilation

ATTENTION BLACK ROCKERS: We're about to do it again… Next week, we'll start accepting submissions for the Black Rock Coalition's 25th Anniversary release, 'Rock 'n' Roll Reparations, Vol. 2.' So pick out two of your most progressive, genre-bending, world-ain't-ready songs and keep your ear to the ground… Request more info at submissions@blackrockcoalition.org.

Read More 0 Comments

Handicapping the Grammys' Urban/Alternative Category

Once again, the Grammys' Urban/Alternative category continues the Recording Academy's tradition of rewarding minor innovation, if you can call the nominees that.  Baby steps to the left are all I see.  Or, this year continues the Grammy tradition of highlighting artists who only take baby steps to the left.  It's like this category has become […]

Read More 0 Comments

My SXSW interview with Death + a request for donations

Now that we’re past the holidays, many of you have been asking me if I plan to be in Austin again this year for SXSW.  You may recall that I asked for your support in voting for my panel suggestion for the 2010 festival.  Unfortunately, that panel won’t be happening.  But, the festival reached out […]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Read More 0 Comments