Archive | Community RSS feed for this section

A Conversation with Kevin Powell

kp2

The race for Brooklyn’s 10th Congressional District ends tomorrow. Hear what one of the candidates has to say. p5rn7vb

Read More 0 Comments

WRFB-Radio Free Brooklyn Fundraising Drive

WRFB-imagecap

Saturday, July 31 kicks off the first of three fundraisers that we’ve organized to help keep the stream alive. Find out how you can support community Internet radio!

Read More 0 Comments

UPCOMING: Conversations on Michael Jackson's Black America — 6/5

The trouble with living in NYC is there's often TOO much happening on the same day.  Case in point: Saturday, June 5.  In addition to the BRC 25th anniversary show, the screening of Kenyan sci-fi film Pumzi, add this event at the Schomburg to your list. Lots of good discussion happening here, so whatever you […]

Read More 0 Comments

Guitarist Ronny Drayton on his son's incarceration — part 1

For those of you who are not familiar with guitarist Ronny Drayton, let me tell you: He’s extraordinary.  Ronny has played for a gang of folks over the course of his career, artists such as Roy Ayers, The Family Stand, Nona Hendryx, Meshell Ndegocello, Defunkt, to name only a few. And he recently stepped out […]

Read More 1 Comment

VIDEO: Nas and Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley — "Distant Relatives"

From the Distant Relatives' MySpace page: Distant Relatives is an album created by two great artists to explore and celebrate the correlations and deep-rooted connections between reggae and hip hop, tracing both sounds back to the African motherland that is both the cradle of humanity and the wellspring of mankindʼs music.  Unlike all previous collaborations […]

Read More 0 Comments

Ta-Nehisi Coates on the GOP

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a brilliant and thoughtful writer.  If you haven't checked out his book, The Beautiful Struggle, please do.  It's a powerful story about Ta-Nehisi and his father.  He also writes a regular column for TheAtlantic.com, which is where I pulled this nugget about the Grand Old Party: This is who they are–the proud […]

Read More 0 Comments

VIDEO: Derek Sivers–"How to start a movement"

In this three (3) minute video, Derek Sivers (founder of CD Baby) dissects some important lessons on what it takes to start a movement. More on Derek here.

Read More 0 Comments

TheGrio.com's "20 People You Should Follow on Twitter"

I'm honored, too, to have been included in this list, which just came out yesterday.  And way beyond the fact that I'm in it, there are hella talented and dynamic folks in this group.  Here they are in the order that they appear: Olympia Scott, WNBA champion Latoicha Givens, intellectual property lawyer Daymond John, FUBU […]

Read More 0 Comments

Check out "The Audacity of Humanity" ebook

The Audacity of Humanity Ebook A couple of honors this week. The first: I was asked to contribute to the above project, which was put together by ethnomusicologist and TED fellow Kyra Gaunt. Here’s what she wrote about the project: The Audacity of Humanity features over 35 authors, 
ages 10 to 63, from 5 continents, […]

Read More 0 Comments

David Mills, 1961-2010

Many of you have heard about the sudden passing of Emmy award-winning TV writer David Mills, who wrote for shows such as NYPD Blue, The Corner, The Wire and the upcoming Treme.  Funny thing is, that’s not how I knew David. In fact, I didn’t even know he was a TV writer, let alone […]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Read More 0 Comments