Archive | Community RSS feed for this section

Greg Tate remembers Tom Terrell

Hat tip to Michael Gonzales for the heads-up.  What I find really moving are all of the letters that people wrote to share not only their memories of him, but what he meant to them. Humbling.

Read More 0 Comments

Tom Terrell's Washington Post obit

Thanks to Brian Tate and the Full Spectrum crew for bringing Tom’s obit to my attention. Mr. Terrell, whose buoyant enthusiasm led to many friendships in the music business, had a gift for discovering artists and musical developments. "He somehow managed to hear of people long before anyone else did," said Bill Warrell, who hired [...]

Read More 0 Comments

Tom Terrell: 1950 – 2007

Tom_terrell

photo credit: Jimmy Saal Lots of things I want to update you all on, but one certainly takes precedence.  Longtime music journalist, publicist, DJ and all-around supporter of great music Tom Terrell succumbed to his battle with prostate cancer last week.  My condolences to his family and friends.  While we weren’t close, I had the [...]

Read More 0 Comments

The Jena 6 and other incidents of injustice

I’m sure everyone got inspired by Sunday’s event with The Family Stand.  But, as much as it was engaging and energizing to talk about the importance of excellence, how to move progressive culture forward, and to expose folks to the vast possibilities of the “new Black imagination,” it’s more important to ground all of that [...]

Read More 2 Comments

Weekend Preview: Restoration Rocks Festival

Brian_tate_cropped2

I sometimes say that Brooklyn is Black rock, and a weekend like this one coming up just proves my point.  Saturday afternoon, the place to be is going to be Restoration Plaza for the Restoration Rocks Festival, a celebration of the community development center’s 40th anniversary.  Organizing the festival is Brian Tate who is, among [...]

Read More 0 Comments

What do you think?

I see signs of a growing presence of Black rock in contemporary culture.  But what about you?  Do you agree?  Disagree?  Where do you think this is all heading?  Where would you like to see it go? Holla back in the comments section, and make yourself heard.

Read More 0 Comments

Speak out!

My thesis: In a post-Imus world where hip hop is under attack (rightfully on some counts), the African American community needs Black rock now more than ever.  Do you agree?  Disagree?  I’d like to hear what you think. Full disclosure: I’m working on an article for an online publication and I’m using this forum as [...]

Read More 10 Comments

Ghetto Metal

Ghetto Metal, huh?  Wow.  At the very least, this challenges the assertion–backed up largely by much of Maureen Mahon’s scholarly work–that Black rock has resided in the province of the Black middle class.  Like Jay-Z gives props to Dre on "The Watcher", these guys–DMX, M-1 of Dead Prez, and Bazaar Royale–give props to the Black [...]

Read More 6 Comments

Transforming Community Into Movement

So, I’m having coffee with my friend Danny this morning, and we start talking about Black rock.  I reiterate my interest in bringing more of an audience the music, not necessarily figuring out better ways to market bands to the audience.  He then states—and I’m paraphrasing badly here: “You gotta find a band.  The only [...]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Read More 0 Comments

Fear Of A Black President

Some excerpts from Ta-Nehisi Coates’s tour de force on Obama, race and the limits of integration.

GOOD READ: Hate Crimes Always Have A Logic: On The Oak Creek Gurudwara Shootings

A perspective on the Oak Creek, WI shootings from a member of the Sikh community

GOOD READ: Erykah Badu to Wayne Coyne: “Kiss my glittery ass!”

In case you missed it, Ms. Badu’s choice words to Mr. Coyne

GOOD READ: Jeff Chang On The Legacy of Chuck Brown

A worthwhile read on the go-go legend

GOOD READS: #TrayvonMartin Around The Web

So much conversation–and now maybe some justice–for this young man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...