"Rock is problematized for Black people."
Farai Chideya's novel Kiss The Sky hits bookstores today. I spent close to 30 minutes talking with Farai about the book, and here is part one, which runs approximately 15 minutes. In it, we cover:
- Her motivations for doing the novel
- Her early influences
- The role of imagination in her family
- Her club kid roots and her "goth-y" posse
- Why focus on American Black rock
- How and why rock is "problematized" for Black people
- The differences between rock, jazz and soul
- The growth stocks vs. value investment analogy, as related to music
Check back for part 2 tomorrow!