2008 was a big year for this blog. I became even more excited about exploring the cultural shift that’s bringing Black rock and all of its manifestations to the fore. This resulted in approximately 200 posts over the course of the year. From these posts, I’ve pulled what I consider to be the best of the year. Enjoy!
- Best of 2008 Black rock releases.
According to artists, fans and supporters.
- Alternative, compared to what?
Let’s stop acting like we don’t know what alternative really is.
- Black rock: The Soundtrack to the Age of Obama.
Many want to give hip hop all the credit for Obama’s election. It may be true. But what’s clear is that we need a different soundtrack if we’re truly going to take advantage of the cultural shift we’re experiencing.
- What is the role of “Black” rock in the age of Obama?
Does the Obama presidency signal an end to the identity politics inherent in our music?
- Where to find Black rock redux.
Some places to start if you want to get more involvement in this community.
- Empathy and perspective.
On supporting our own without retreating into a brand new walled garden.
- Do we have to call it “Black” rock?
Absolutely, and here’s why.
- It’s all about the audience.
Artists, it’s never really been about you.
- Stew: “I credit the people who loved me.”
A fantastic conversation, I think, with a talented artist. You can find all the “Passing Strange” posts here.
FURTHER EVIDENCE OF THE CULTURAL SHIFT IN 2008
- MTV: Afro-punk “explodes into a multi-genre movement”
- Rockin’ out of a hard place
- Beyonce, Etta and rock’s generation gap
- Ebony: “What does Black sound like?”
- J*Davey and the ongoing cultural shift
- NY Daily News: “Rock is the new Black”
- TV on the Radio–“Dear Science”
- Rock 4 Barack @ Le Poisson Rouge–9/10/08
- Another moment of truth: J*Davey @ SOB’s–8/20/08Janelle Monae Crushes Summerstage
- Little Jackie/”The Stoop”
- Danielia Cotton/”Rare Child”
- Harriet Tubman at Brooklyn Museum of Art.
- Sounds. Vibrations from our hardcorps.
- Photos. My documentation of some of the shows I attended. In a few cases, I got some decent shots.
- Video. I started doing video interviews of fly folks (are there any other kind?) in the community. Check ‘em here.